Join us in December and Experience the magic of Christmas among America’s largest log cabin collection!
Walk along lantern-lit pathways into a pioneer Christmas at Hart Square.
In 1983, Dr. Bob and Becky Hart welcomed family and church friends to celebrate a pioneer Christmas in St. Mark’s Chapel. This inaugural “Christmas in the Village” created a tradition for generations to come.
The event began as a quaint and intimate gathering in the 1844 chapel. Amid candlelight, folks sang hymns and shared hot apple cider. It is our honor to continue this beautiful, simple tradition at Hart Square Village.
Guests can listen to Christmas carols by candlelight accompanied by music from our pump organ in the Capel of Peace.
In addition to the historic church, our pioneer Christmas includes many popular yuletide traditions from Early America.
Some of what you will experience
- Eight of our historic cabins decorated for the season.
- Making of cornhusk angel ornaments.
- Roasting Chestnuts on an open fire.
- Lessons and Christmas carols by candlelight with music from our pump organ.
- Delicious Brunswick stew, ham biscuits, molasses cookies and apple cider.
Making of cornhusk angel ornaments
Historic church services
Two historic church services with foot-pump organ music
North Carolina artist Bob Timberlake says,
“I’ve visited Colonial Williamsburg, almost grew up in Old Salem, and I’ve seen other restored places all over North America, and nothing compares with Hart Square just south of Hickory.”
- Tickets are $50 each.
- All proceeds from this event support the Hart Square Foundation, which ensures the preservation of the village and educational programming throughout the year
- rain or shine event
- (No pets please)